Regardless of how you heard of a fertility specialist, important factors to consider when choosing a fertility specialist are confidence in the physician and program, practice style, treatment that is tailored to your unique situation, dedication and compassion from the physician and her team, convenience of the clinic location, cost of treatment, and availability of other ancillary services.
Your confidence in a particular fertility specialist and the program is founded in the quality of the care you receive. That quality is a summation of multiple facets including:
- Experience and expertise of the fertility specialist and the clinic
- Performance of the fertility lab
- Integration of the lab with the fertility specialist
- Practice style
- will you have treatment tailored to your unique situation or the clinic fits you into a standard treatment protocol
- do you get personal attention or do you take a number and stand in line
- will you be seen by the physician or other extenders on a day to day basis
- how does the practice communicate with you when you have important questions about your treatment or are in need
- Do you have to travel to different offices for special procedures and who will perform these procedures on you
- Infertility is a highly emotionally charged matter and its treatment adds more stress to the already hectic lives. Is the staff sensitive to your needs?
- Does your clinic participate with your health insurance?
- Is the business staff helpful?
- And finally if you have special needs, does the clinic provide or refer to appropriate professionals? Examples include: pre-conception counseling, psychological counseling, genetic counseling, oocyte donor agencies, and gestational carrier agencies.